Sudan is the largest country (2.5 million sq km) in Africa and most seriously affected by desertification. The hyper-arid, arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid lands cover an area of 178 million hectares lying between latitude 18o N and traversing the country from eastern to the western borders. All this area is affected to various degrees by one or more of the desertification processes. Mindful of the threat of this phenomenon and in response to the UNESCO 1992, the Senate of the University of Khartoum passed a decree in October to establish a center under the name of Desertification and Desert Cultivation Center affiliated to the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum and located at Shambat (Khartoum North). The main objectives of the center are (1) to conduct, encourage and co-ordinate basic applied research in the area of desertificatioin (2) to award postgraduate diploma/M.Sc. and Ph.D degrees (3) to establish data bank of desertification (4) Co-ordination and collaboration with governmental and non-governmental institutions and bodies to raise public awareness of the threat of desertification and (5) avail scientific advice services. In May 2001, the center was upgraded to an Institute (DADCSI).
- Training Programms in the Field of Desertification.
- Campaigns targetting combating desertification.
Desertification and Desert Cultivation Studies Institute
University of Khartoum, Shambat, Post code 13314, P.O.Box 32, Shambat, Sudan
Tel: 00 249 185 329232
Fax: 00 249 185 775103
1. Postgraduate studies (Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D.) in four modules (Forestry, Soil, Range Management & Socio-economics).
2. Short-term training courses in fields relevant to desertification.
3. Simply written handouts.
4. The Chair invites keynote overseas experts.
5. Monthly seminars.
6. Field trips to degraded areas in Sudan.
7. Workshops, forums, seminars and conferences.
8. Links to relevant NGOs, Sudanese society for combating desertification and Sudanese national Commission for Education, Science and Culture (SNCESC).
9. Organization of panel discussion with target groups.
Chair Programs :
Chair focal program areas
1. Desert Cultivation and Desertification affected Soils.
2. Desertification and its Combating.
Dr. Eltigani Mohamed Salih
3. Afforestation and Agroforestry.
Prof. Salheldin Goda Hussein
4. Range Management
Dr. Eltom Elsadig Ali
5. Documentation, Training and Publications.
Dr. Eltayeb Hag Ali